It deeply disturbs me that I must write this post; in every possible way, from the victims who died to the selfish greedy asinine imbeciles who create fake websites and PayPal accounts to STEAL money from the Sandy Hook victims families. A women from Bronx, New York, named NOUEL (NOEL) ALBA used her G-mail account to create a fake account in Noah Ponzer’s name (6-year-old victim), and was routing the payments that were made through PayPal to her personal checking account, gaining $300. At this point, these are speculations. CNN did go to her house and she did agree that it was her G-mail account and her “crafting-enemy’s” created this account to attack her, and after CNN visited her house, she returned the money. Now we can wait to see if the FBI confirms her as the true culprit but we all know her excuse is ridiculous. So as individual’s who are eager to donate funds to the victims families there are some tips that we must pay attention to. The following tips are from the Federal Trade Commission and the National Center For Disaster Preparedness:
Do not respond or open attachments from unsolicited emails claiming to be from charitable organizations.
Donate directly through the organization’s website. Do not follow links from emails to donation sites or allow an individual or third-party organization to make the donation on your behalf.
Do not send cash, money order, or wire transfers.
Contact the charity directly to authenticate the fundraiser (use a local or nationally recognized phone number, not the phone number listed in the email).
Validate the charity through sites like Give.org or the Better Business Bureau, especially if the soliciting organization has a name similar to that of a well-recognized organization.
Never divulge personal information such as your social security number.
Take notice of the organization’s web address. Most legitimate non-profit organizations end in .org, not .com.
Be wary of solicitations from those claiming to be surviving victims of a well-publicized disaster.
Some Legitimate Sites:
If you are unable to donate financially, there are other ways you can contribute, just visit CNN.com/impact
- Wreaths sent to Sandy Hook for each victim (wtvr.com)
- Scammers & Spammers Try To Cash In On Sandy Hook Shootings (consumerist.com)
- How to Donate Safely to Charity (circleid.com)
- How to donate in memory of Newtown victims, or contact families (wtvr.com)
- Are You Donating to a Real Charity? (cauce.org)
- CNN: How to Help Victims of Elementary School Shooting (whnt.com)
- Sandy Hook Elementary School -cybercriminals will use ways to profit from the innocent (mymulticast.wordpress.com)
- How you can help Sandy Hook victims (myfox8.com)
- Ways to donate in memory of the victims (fox6now.com)
- Consumer Scams to Watch Out for During a Rebound Economy (mint.com)