I have always felt that online dating was only appropriate for certain people and of a certain age, you know the UGLY and OLD, but according to theses statistics below I may be a bit to judgemental on the subject.
Approximately 20 million people use the online dating service. The following statistics provide information about the Internet usage patterns of these users:
- The 20 million Internet users visit dating site once in a month.
- Some of these 20 million users visit dating sites more than once.
- In the US, 31% of the population either uses online dating service or at least knows people who are using it.
- In the year 2008, 120,000 marriages that took place were attributed to online dating services. The number of people who are finding their love online, is increasing day-by-day.
- In the United States, 58% women and 48% men use online dating services.
- Around 51% of men who went for online dating had 6 dates in a single year. Fifty-eight percent women who used online dating services had 4 dates in a single year.
- In the year 2009, around 350 million dollars were spent in marketing the online dating services.
- Among all the Internet services, online dating remained at the top. Its growth estimate is 10%.
- The year 2009 also saw a rise in number of bogus accounts and scams. Free-to-subscribe dating sites were mainly responsible for these problems. Out of the total accounts created this year, 10% of them were bogus. Read more on online dating scams.
- Out of the total number of singles who seek online dating services, only 33% manage to get into a relationship. Out of the remaining 66% people, 33% lose hope and quit while other 33% of keep on searching for the right partner.
Some of these statistics sound promising but the last ones sounds like a bummer.
Do you all think its desperate to start looking for love online in your early-mid twenties when you are attractive and social?
More to come from this topic. . . !!!